I had problems my first race beucase I wasn't thinking right. I set up the way we used to, with the held tail, so my head was into the wind so that it would eventually push over so we would start the race straight. But the starter took a really long time lining the boats up and my boat kept getting more and more crooked. Halfway thought I realized that with the new block system it's completely opposite and I should've started with the tail into the wind so the wind would push us straight.
Other than the first race we didn't have many problems with the start. Our team had practiced using buoys and it was surprisingly similar. I checked in with my strokes after each race to see how to do better the next time. I don't know why so many other steers were having problems with the start blocks. Maybe they didn't practice? It doesn't matter if they can't see the bucket, the strokes can!
Another thing I had some problems with was the buoys since I was so focused on the head I had forgotten to check the buoys! But I'm glad they tweeted the buoy map so I could go back and check on what lanes where what color. and I think the tweet on Sunday morning to steers about how the first lane only had buoys on the right side was a good reminder. Maybe it was announced at the captains' meeting but we missed it since there was no PA system.
My only suggestion is to have more buoys. But I think since they move the starting block this won't be possible. Steers will just have to remember what color the buoys are so I'm glad they're not color coded to the lane. Maybe they can color the start bucket buoys too so they'll match the lane line buoys.